Coming up with make ahead breakfast ideas is a great way to provide your family with healthy meals without adding extra work to your busy mornings. This simple Southwest breakfast casserole is one of those easy recipes that will simplify your morning routine.
Since this casserole is packed with flavour and made with hash browns, bacon, and eggs, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone in your family.
How Do You Know a Breakfast Casserole is Done?
There’s nothing worse than cutting into a breakfast casserole only to see that your eggs are still runny! If you’ve had this happen before, you’re probably wondering how to know when your casserole is done. A knife is the best way to check to see if the eggs in your casserole are done. Stick a thin-bladed knife into the center of the casserole dish. If the knife comes out clean, the casserole is done. But if you notice egg on your knife after you pull it out, your casserole needs to cook a little bit longer.
How Long Can Breakfast Casserole Be Frozen?
You can keep this make ahead breakfast in your freezer for up to three months before you need to cook it. To ensure you use your casserole before it expires, make sure to write the name of the dish and the date you prepared it on the foil before you place it in the freezer. It’s also a good idea to write the expiration date on top so you know when to heat it.
Once your casserole has been prepared, you can store leftovers in the refrigerator. Cover the dish or place the leftovers in an airtight container and keep them chilled for up to four days. Leftovers can be reheated in the oven or microwave.
Southwestern Breakfast Casserole Recipe Tips
This quick and easy recipe is perfect for a make ahead breakfast! And since it’s so simple to make, you can easily adjust the recipe to suit your family’s preferences. Try these recipe ideas as you’re preparing your breakfast bake:
- Double the recipe to make two make ahead breakfasts at one time. Since this recipe uses a half a bag of diced hash browns, it’s more time efficient to prepare two casseroles at once. Simply double the amount of ingredients in the recipe, then prepare the breakfast casseroles in two separate dishes. You’ll end up with two delicious breakfasts in the amount of time it takes to make one!
- Serve with tortillas. While this flavourful casserole is great on its own, you could also try serving it with tortillas for a fun way for your family to enjoy their breakfast. Heat the tortillas according to the package instructions, then let your family fill them with the casserole mixture to create their own breakfast burrito.
- Try adding sausage. Bulk up this make ahead breakfast bake with the help of some ground pork sausage. Brown the sausage in a skillet and drain the grease from the pan, then mix the meat into the hash brown mixture to add some more meat and flavour to your breakfast.
- Stir in some black beans. Another great way to increase the servings in your casserole is with the help of beans. Black beans add more protein and fiber to your breakfast, making them a great choice for bulking up the recipe. To add black beans to the breakfast dish, drain and rinse a can of beans and mix it into the casserole with the hash browns.
- Spice it up with peppers. Does your family enjoy eating a spicy breakfast? Add some spice to your southwestern egg casserole with the help of some peppers. Diced green chilies are a simple choice for spicing up your dish. Or garnish your casserole with sliced jalapeño to add some fresh spiciness to your breakfast.
PLEASE, USE THE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW FOR THE RECIPE AND INGREDIENTS