- 1 roll puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot (if desired) minced
- 1½-2 cups mushrooms sliced (500 grams)
- 2 Italian sausages (without casing chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1-2 dashes pepper
- 1 cup cheese shredded (fontina, swiss, cheddar, gruyere or your choice)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large frying pan add the olive oil, minced shallot, sliced mushrooms, chopped sausage, parsley, oregano, salt & pepper, cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium high heat stirring often until the sausage is just browned. Move to a clean bowl and let cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (190C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry, gently roll it out a couple of times to even it out, then place it on the prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese down the middle of the dough, top with the mushroom/sausage mixture, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Make slits about 1/2 inch thick on both sides of the dough until you reach the filling. Fold the cut strips over the filling, like a braid. Brush with an egg wash or milk. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked. Let cool 5-10 minutes then slice and serve.
- In a small bowl combine 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of milk, beat to combine.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 755mg | Potassium: 344mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 453IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 239mg | Iron: 2mg