- 2boneless ribeye steaks 1 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2cloves garlic smashed
- 2sprigs fresh thyme
- Remove steaks from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.
- Place cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper, gently pressing seasoning into the steaks.
- Once pan is hot, add canola oil. When hot and rippling, add steaks to pan, making sure they do not touch each other.
- Set a timer and sear first side for 2 minutes and 30 seconds (For a 1 inch steak at medium doneness – see table below for temperatures). Flip steak and set timer for 2 minutes and 30 seconds for second side.
- Cooking times for a steak will vary based on the thickness, size, and shape of your steak. For best success, I suggest a meat thermometer. You’ll want to remove your steak from the pan when the temperature reaches 5 degrees below your desired doneness. The steak will continue to cook slightly while it is resting. Temperatures are listed in Fahrenheit.