- 6 ears of corn, husked and all silk removed
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- ¼-⅓ cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Juice of 2 limes
Ingredients for Mexican Crema
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
Mexican crema or sour cream: A common question that arises when making this recipe, is Mexican crema the same as sour cream? Can sour cream be used as a substitute? While they are similar, Mexican crema is different from sour cream and I would recommend sticking with the recipe listed above.
Mexican crema is runnier and lighter than sour cream. It has a tangy sweetness to it that sour cream is lacking. The outcome of your elote will be enhanced greatly by using the crema recipe over sour cream.
Sweet corn: This recipe can be made using corn on the cob or kernels corn off the cob.
How to Make Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Place each ear of corn on a piece of foil. Brush olive oil on each ear of corn and lightly sprinkle all sides of corn with sea salt. Wrap foil tightly around corn.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat and place all 6 ears of corn on the grill grates. Close the lid and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the corn on the cob can easily be pierced with a fork. Turn often while the corn is cooking to prevent burning the corn cob.
- When the corn is done cooking carefully remove the foil.
- Lightly brush each ear of corn with Mexican Cream Sauce and sprinkle additional chipotle chili powder, cotija cheese, fresh parsley, and fresh lime juice over each ear of corn.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
How to Store
If you have leftovers, store them in a tightly wrapped plastic wrap and place them into an airtight container. The Crema recipe will make a little bit extra, to account for the corn being a bit dry the next day! Be sure to save any extra crema as well.
Then, when you are ready to eat the leftovers, add additional leftover Mexican Crema to each cob to enhance the creaminess. After adding extra crema you can also add more chipotle powder, cotija cheese, parsley, and lime juice.
The Mexican creme sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.