12 ounces pre-cooked shredded beef
2 cups masa harina
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 2/3 cups water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Roma tomato, diced
1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup refried black beans
READ ALSO:My Homemade Version of green chili
Crumbled Cotija cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine masa harina, flour, baking power and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Slowly add water until a soft dough is formed. Transfer dough to floured surface; knead by hand for 5 minutes until dough is smooth. Cover in plastic and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie or biscuit cutter, cut into 2-1/4 inch circles. Re-roll remaining dough, as needed, to get 24 circles.
- Heat 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot; add oil. Fry sopes about 5 minutes or until golden brown and edges are crispy; turning once. Transfer sopes to paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine beef, lime juice, orange juice, cumin, chile power, coriander, garlic powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes and jalapeño peppers. Keep warm.
- Top each sope with beans then beef mixture. Garnish with cheese and cilantro, as desired.
READ ALSO:Chile Colorado (Mexican Beef Stew)