Dive into the realm of culinary mastery with our Homemade Egg Foo Young, a symphony of flavors that transcends takeout. This Chinese-style omelet, also known as Egg Foo Yung, unveils a tantalizing combination of red peppers, celery, mushrooms, onions, bean sprouts, scallions, salt, white pepper, and savory chicken—all enveloped in a scrumptious, slightly salty-sweet, tangy gravy. Transform your kitchen into a haven of culinary delight as you bid adieu to takeout and embark on a journey of homemade excellence.
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh bean sprouts
- 4 green onions, chopped (green & white parts)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely diced (Rotisserie chicken recommended)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine beaten eggs with red pepper, celery, mushrooms, onions, bean sprouts, half of the green onions, and diced chicken.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, blend chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and sesame oil. Create a slurry by whisking together cornstarch and water, then slowly incorporate it into the saucepan. Stir until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
- Heat a nonstick skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil over medium heat. Add approximately 1/2 cup of the egg mixture, cooking until lightly browned on the bottom. Flip and brown the other side. Plate and keep warm. Repeat until all the batter is utilized.
- Serve the warm omelets with the savory gravy, generously sprinkling the remaining green onions for a finishing touch.
Experience culinary bliss with each bite as you master the art of Homemade Egg Foo Young in your own kitchen.
As you savor the last delectable bites of your Homemade Egg Foo Young, take pride in the culinary mastery achieved within the walls of your own kitchen. This symphony of flavors, with its vibrant blend of ingredients and savory nuances, has not only elevated your dining experience but also empowered you to create a Chinese culinary masterpiece at home. Bid farewell to takeout and embrace the satisfaction of crafting a dish that tantalizes the taste buds and brings the essence of Asian cuisine to your table. Until the next culinary adventure, revel in the joy of creating memories around a plate filled with the warmth and richness of Homemade Egg Foo Young.
Source of the picture : smalltownwoman